Last updated on May 4th, 2018
The following is a non-exhaustive, yet unfinished 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 parts compatibility list. That is, it is a list of models which share a degree of compatibility with the new 2017+ Kawasaki Ninja 650.
Though this model is new for 2017 – and a major redesign on the previous version of the infamous Ninja 650 – there are still many major and minor accessories that will directly bolt-on. At least from previous models from the Kawasaki family. I can’t make any guarantees about compatibility, but it is an excellent starting point when looking for more options when it comes to replacements and upgrades.
Also, if you want to check out what parts I decided to install on my 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650, check out my mods list. I’ve definitely put a not-insignificant amount of time and money into my bike, so I can absolutely make a few recommendations.
In this case, the best compatibility will be found with the 2017+ Kawasaki Z650. For whatever reason it seems to have found a far superior reception in the aftermarket parts market thanks to its international popularity. Regardless of the reason, this is certainly a very welcome fact for N650 owners.
The Z650 is the Naked version of the Ninja 650 so, as expected, compatibility is perfect for a majority of parts. If it looks like it fits, it probably does. To find the best prices and selection of accessories, an Ebay search for Z650 parts is the best place to start these days.
If you know of any other models with bolt-on compatibility, or any errors or suggestions to add, please leave them in the comments below.
2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 Parts Compatibility List
Prime Suspects to Check for Compatibility
The following models are national and international models with which there will be some degree of bolt-on compatibility between bikes, depending on the part. Keep in mind that some models aren’t really models as much as they are names that certain vendors will use out of ignorance.
- 2012-2016 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS – The 2017 model was a major redesign. Many minor parts are shared with this previous version, but don’t assume compatibility. A majority of parts were changed and are not compatible. It is still worth checking for some accessories, of course.
- 2017 Kawasaki Z650 – This is the naked version of the 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650. Many common parts fit from this model, and the engine is presumed to be identical. That includes the fender eliminators, rear sets, and a wide variety of other parts.
- 2017 Kawasaki Z800 – Engine parts from this bike do not fit for the most part. However, some smaller parts and accessories will be perfectly compatible. Just make sure to check them individually.
- 2017 Kawasaki Z900 – As you might expect, engine parts from this model do not fit, for the most part. However, some smaller parts and accessories will be perfectly compatible, checked individually.
- 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 – It’s still soon to speak, but I expect that this model will also share a great deal of parts with its bigger brother.
- Kawasaki ER-6N – This is the overseas naked version of the Ninja 650. Some parts may fit, although exact degree of compatibility is undetermined.
- Kawasaki ER-6F – This is the overseas version with fairings. Similar if not identical to the previous Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS. Keep in mind that some sellers will keep calling the 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650 a “2017 ER-6F”.
- Kawasaki Ninja 650R – Ninja 650R is another name for the 2012-2016 Kawasaki Ninja 650 model, however the exact differences are unknown. In many cases it is simply a misnomer by the vendor.
- Kawasaki ER650 – I’m not sure if this is the correct model number, but some sellers use it, and some online information supports that it is some type of international version of this model.
Note – ER-6n stands for Naked, whereas ER-6F stands for Fairings.
Parts with Known Compatibilty
- 8mm x 1.25mm Rear Stand Spools – Any rear spools with this thread are compatible. Feel free to disregard the motorcycle model it is advertised for.
- 20×2.5mm Oil Filler Caps – This is not the most typical thread size, so double check the listing to make sure it fits.
- It is compatible with 2017 Kawasaki Z650 Radiator Cover, as expected.
- Keys from Kawasaki 1400, zx-10r, zx-6r, zzr1400, and ninja zx-14 seems to be compatible. However this bike is a bit finicky with key compatibility. You’ll have to double check that the key is the correct length. Keep in mind that sellers frequently ship the wrong part.
- The connector for the license plate light is the “”2pin Sumitomo motorcycle connector 6030-2981 6040-2111″. It’s a 2 way connector with .250 pins”.
- The Turn Signal Flasher Relay has an odd connector, but Motodynamic sells a compatible plug: “Motodynamic LED Flasher Relay with OEM Connector – LEDFR-01”. I used the adapter and instead installed this adjustable LED flasher.
- Brake/Clutch Lever Compatibility – As far as I have seen, the Ninja 650 is fulyl compatible with the following models.
- 2015-2017 Kawasaki Vulcan/Vulcan S 650
- 2017 Kawasaki Z900
- 2017 Kawasaki Z650
- 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650R/ER-6F
- 2015-2017 Kawasaki Versys 1000
- 2015-2017 Kawasaki Versys (650cc)
Non-Compatible Parts with the 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650
The following parts have been tested to not be bolt-on replacements. They are either not compatible or need a not-insubstantial amount of modification to install. Avoid them when searching for parts for this particular bike.
- Not compatible with the Brake/Clutch levers for the Kawasaki ER-6N/F 2009-2015.
- Not compatible with the Engine Air Filter for the 2012-2016 Kawasaki Ninja 650. The K&N KA-6512 filter did not fit.
- 2017 Kawasaki Z900 Front Axle Sliders do not fit.
Have you encountered any compatibility issues with your N650? Do you have any suggestions or errors? Feel free to contact me or leave a comment below.
What about ABS versus Non-ABS versions?
A frequent question is whether or not the parts are the same for the respective ABS and Non-ABS versions of a bike. Generally they are the same, and this case is no different (certain brake components aside) . Just about any part which fits the 2017+ Kawasaki Ninja 650 (or Z650) will fit regardless of ABS or not.
Certain exceptions may be the brake lines, the brake rotor, the wiring harness, etc. However those are parts that you are either unlikely to change or won’t surprise you.