Along with the Peltor Sport Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector, this model is possibly the most popular electronic hearing protectors you’ll find at a range these days. Particularly among economically conscious shooters. If you are specifically looking for a cheap but decent pair of colorful hearing protectors for a child, new shooter, significant other or a friend, you should consider it. This is probably the best multi-colored electronic hearing protection you’ll find.
Electronic Shooting Earmuffs make a big difference
One of the biggest ‘Pros’ is that this unit features electronic sound amplification. To those unfamiliar with the topic, that might sound counter intuitive in a pair of earmuffs. However it’s actually a godsend when taking new shooters to the range. Even more so if it’s indoors.
One of the biggest hassles of taking someone new to experience a shooting range is that they are noisy. Once you’re at the firing line, all instruction is effectively over. That’s why I wrote my free Teach a friend to shoot guide, as it justifies teaching before arriving at the range. God knows that it makes the experience more pleasant for everyone involved.
Anyway, electronic hearing aids like this muffle the sound of gunshots electronically, while amplifying voices. Given how low this technology now costs, combined with how decently it works, I almost consider it a necessity for public shooting ranges these days. That’s why I wouldn’t consider any earmuffs the best multi-colored electronic hearing protection without that feature.
I keep these earmuffs as my backup set for friends
You might also happen to be considering earplugs instead of earmuffs to keep as a backup or for new shooters. Keep in mind that properly inserting earplugs takes a certain bit of know-how. Earmuffs don’t. A first time visitor is going to have a much more pleasant time if each shot doesn’t make them flinch. I’d always recommend earmuffs over earplugs for anyone who isn’t familiar or used to either.
As far as cons go, one thing that kind of lets me down is that they aren’t compatible with aviation gel pads, though regular gel pad upgrades are available. But if you’re not buying these as your principal hearing protectors, that shouldn’t be a factor anyway.
- It’s available in Black, Camo, Green, Pink, Purple and Teal.
- The built-in directional microphones amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB. That provides a more natural listening and enhanced communication. Keep in mind that gun shots or other loud sounds are not amplified.
- It actively listens and automatically shuts off amplification when ambient sound reaches 82 dB. The Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) is a very respectable 22.
- Additionally, it features low profile earcups for firearm stock clearance and an adjustable headband for secure fit.
- The compact folding design allows for convenient storage. There’s no excuse to not keep it permanently in the range bag as a spare.
- Not to mention the very attractive color range. More than almost any other model out there. That makes it particularly attractive for new shooters, teens and young ones.
- Includes AUX input and 3.5 mm connection cord for MP3 players and scanners. That makes hearing music while shooting or doing other noisy work possible. Who wouldn’t want to listen to a Joe Rogan podcast while they shoot?
- It includes 2 AAA batteries as well as an automatic shut-off feature after 4 hours. It definitely helps increase battery life. All in all, that is about approximately 350 hours of battery life.
Best multi-colored electronic hearing protection Takeaway
In conclusion, owning a decent set of electronic (digital) earmuffs will definitely improve your experience at the range. Especially with new shooters, who will appreciate the comfort and being able to hear your instructions.
The colors just make it more inviting for younger ones or the fairer sex. Even if you already have a main set, having a spare is always a good idea. Especially compared to having to use some disposable earplugs. As many veteran shooters know, eyes and ears get forgotten by even the best of us.
With an extra set like the Howard Leight Impact Sport in your range bag, at least you know you’re always covered. Or your best friend is. I bet I’m not the only whose range buddy always forgets their hearing protection. Every. Single. Time. Hopefully the pink color will make him remember next time.
Anyway, thanks for reading! If you’ve found this interesting, consider checking out the homepage for similar topics I’ve covered recently. Here are a few you might find useful.